Wednesday, July 28, 2010

THE BEAST

The Beast has been stalking me for years,
     waiting, waiting, poking and testing from time to time.

The Beast never sleeps; is always waiting
     to pounce, stealthily following me everywhere.

The Beast became impatient, toying with me
   yet not revealing itself....yet.

The Beast, tired of teasing, pounced!
     just when I thought myself safe.

The Beast unleashed its fury,
     doing as much damage as possible.

The Beast watched as I struggled
     to see, to walk, to understand.

The Beast had to be tamed, made to go away
     and only the strongest weapon would do.

The Beast retreated, slowly at first
     but retreated none the less.

The Beast doesn't know that I cannot be defeated
     by its attacks. I am not afraid of this Beast.

This Beast whose name is...
     Multiple Sclerosis.



copyright 2010
all rights reserved

1 comment:

Lisa Emrich said...

Hi Mary Jo,
I had not discovered your blog until now. I really like this poem of yours and would like to feature it in the Carnival of MS Bloggers next week. Please let me know if that is okay. Also, I will add your blog to the directory at MS Bloggers. It's nice to meet you.
Lisa